Who we are
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is the new way of providing individualised support for eligible people with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers. The National Disability Insurance Scheme is the insurance that gives us all peace of mind. Disability could affect anyone - having the right support makes a big difference.
What we do
We understand that everyone’s needs, preferences and aspirations are different. That’s why we provide to eligible people a flexible, whole-of-life approach to the support needed to pursue their goals and aspirations and participate in daily life.
- We provide information and referrals, links to services and activities, individualised plans and where necessary, supports over a lifetime.
- We raise community awareness and encourage greater inclusion and access to mainstream services, community activities and other government initiatives.
- We support service providers to build capacity and be part of the scheme.
- Over time, we will find new and better ways of providing support, by building on what works well and learning from the lived experience of people with disability.
What help can I get? has more information about these services and support options.
Where and when is the National Disability Insurance Scheme available?
We are introducing the scheme in stages, because it’s a big change and we want to get it right and make it sustainable.
From 1 July 2013, the National Disability Insurance Scheme began in:
- Tasmania for youth aged 15-24
- South Australia for children aged 0-14
- the Barwon area of Victoria for people up to age 65 and
- the Hunter area in NSW for people up to age 65.
From 1 July 2014, the National Disability Insurance Scheme will commence in the ACT, and the Barkly region of Northern Territory. Roll out of the full scheme will commence progressively from July 2016.
You will need to meet certain requirements to access the National Disability Insurance Scheme. Use My Access Checker to find out if you may be able to access individual support.