The content on this page contains references to activities and policies that are no long proceeding.
Independent Assessment Framework
- Independent Assessment Framework (DOCX 528KB)
- Easy Read - Independent Assessment Framework (PDF 3.6MB)
- Easy Read (text only) - Independent Assessment Framework (DOCX 55KB).
The Independent Assessment Toolkit
- Selection of assessment tools in the toolkit (DOCX 1.1MB)
- Easy Read - Independent assessment tools (PDF 4.8MB)
- Easy Read (text only) - Independent assessment tools (DOCX 47KB)
- Addendum to Selection of Assessment Tools to address children aged 1-6 years (DOCX 58KB)
Independent assessment pilots
From 2018 to 2021 the NDIA ran two pilot programs to test and get feedback from participants about independent assessments.
The first independent assessment pilot
From November 2018 to April 2019, the first independent assessment pilot ran in nine regions across NSW. The pilot was voluntary, free of charge, and available to people aged 7 to 64 years, with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Intellectual Disability and Psychosocial Disability; and
- people who already applied to the NDIS and were waiting for an access decision
- new participants who were yet to develop a plan
- people who were approaching a scheduled plan review.
The assessments were offered for free and completed with a trained health professional experienced in disability.
Recommendations from the Productivity Commission Report informed the design of the first independent assessment pilot.
What we found in the first pilot
The second independent assessment pilot
We started the second pilot in late 2019, but we had to postpone it in March 2020 because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
We restarted the pilot in October 2020 to continue testing how we will introduce independent assessments. The second pilot ended on 31 May 2021.
Evaluation of the second independent assessment pilot
The evaluation was completed by the NDIA Research and Evaluation Branch. It also includes an independent review by the Centre for Disability Studies and the Centre for Disability Policy and Research at the University of Sydney.
Personalised Budgets - technical information paper
- Personalised Budgets technical information (PDF 3.9MB)
- Personalised Budgets technical information (DOCX 3.7MB)
Personalised Budgets - information paper for participants, their families and carers
- Personalised budgets participant information (PDF 4.3MB)
- Personalised budgets participant information (DOCX 3.6MB)
Easy Read Guide - A new way to work out how much funding you receive in your NDIS plan
- Easy read - Personalised Budgets information (PDF 8MB)
- Easy read (text only) - Personalised Budgets information (DOCX 57KB)
Participant journey maps
We released participant journey maps of the proposed processes for existing participants and people wanting to join the NDIS