4. Principles relating to compensation
The following general principles which guide all actions under the NDIS Act are particularly relevant to compensation:
- people with disability and their families and carers should have certainty that people with disability will receive the care and support they need over their lifetime (section 4(3));
- people with disability should be supported to receive reasonable and necessary supports, including early intervention supports (section 4(5));
- people with disability should be supported to receive supports outside the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), and be assisted to coordinate these supports with the supports provided under the NDIS (section 4(14)); and
- the financial sustainability of the NDIS should be ensured (section 4(17)(b)).