SIL may be the most appropriate support option if you need significant person-to-person support to live independently. 

However, there are other options that may be more suitable for you. If you have a goal to change your living situation, we’ll discuss options at your planning meeting. We’ll ask how assistive technology, home modifications, and/or personal care supports could work for you instead of SIL.

Learn more about your options for Personal Care Supports.

These questions help us think about whether we’ll consider funding SIL for you, and if it does make sense, the amount of funded support:

How old are you?

We fund SIL for people aged 18 and over. Otherwise, we expect you won’t need SIL, as your parents or the child protection system of your state or territory will support you. 

If you need more information about supports we fund to help with a child’s disability care needs, have a look at Personal Care Supports.

If you’re 16 or 17, we can assess if we can fund SIL for you once you’re 18. But we only do this in exceptional circumstances to help you get ready for adulthood. 

If you have a goal to live on your own once you turn 18 years old, we can look at other supports that might help you prepare. These include things like Personal Care Supports. 

Planners and Local Area Coordinators (LACs) can help you transition to SIL once you turn 18 if needed.

Is SIL the most suitable option for you? 

SIL is one of many support options you could get where you live.

There are a few things to talk to your Planner about to help you decide if SIL is the best option for you. For example: 

  • your goals for your potential home and living arrangements, and the support you need for daily tasks to help you live as independently as possible 
  • if alternative supports may be a better option (including Individual Living Options or Personal Care Supports,)
  • if you have significant support needs that require person-to-person supports, and what support you currently receive 
  • if your Planner decides your support meets the reasonable and necessary criteria for SIL funding (see the ‘Is SIL reasonable and necessary for you’ section below). 

You may be asked to provide evidence, such as a report from an allied health professional, about your support requirements. Depending on your needs, funding for personal care supports might be a better option to help you where you live today. 

What’s your Roster of Care?

Once you’ve spoken to your Planner and they agree SIL is worth looking into, you need to find a provider. Your provider will work with you to create what’s called a 'Roster of Care'. 

A Roster of Care describes the supports you should get from your provider. It helps us decide what funding to put in your plan.

You need to work with your provider to create or update your Roster of Care. If your needs have changed, you may have to  get a report from a qualified allied health practitioner which shows this.

Finding a provider

Your LAC or Support Coordinator can help you find a SIL provider. They can help you find community, public, or private housing. An allied health professional may be able to help too.

You should tell the provider your goals for your potential home and living arrangements, and the support you need for daily tasks to help you live as independently as possible. You may want to speak with different providers to choose the best one that will help you achieve your goals. Some providers may be better at building your skills to help you become more independent. 

The provider you choose will work with you to make a Roster of Care based on your support needs. The Roster of Care also has to be a reasonable & necessary amount of support. We will discuss this with you at your planning meeting. 

You also need to speak clearly to your provider about any expectations you have about what will be funded in your home. For example things like existing household costs, such as how you share and pay for electricity or utility bills, can’t be paid for by your NDIS funding. But there are other arrangements you can have between yourself and your provider.

Creating a Roster of Care 

Once you’ve found a provider, they must use the Provider SIL Pack on our website. They need to fill this out and attach any supporting information you need. 

The Provider SIL Pack includes a Roster of Care sheet which will describe the support you should get during a typical week.

Your Roster of Care should say how many support staff you and your housemates need (if you have any). This is called your support ratio. Your Roster of Care should also list the times and days you need this support. 

It will also list times when you don’t need SIL supports. This includes time spent with family or friends, holidays, at work or time spent at a day program. 

If you share support with other people, your provider will look at everyone’s needs to make sure the Roster of Care works for everyone.

Checking your Roster of Care 

Your provider needs to talk to you (or your nominee) to create the Roster of Care and confirm what you need. This is so you are happy with what they provide and you know what supports you could be funded for. 

Your provider will give you a copy of your Roster of Care. We’ll check you’ve been consulted and are happy with your Roster of Care during your planning meeting. Your provider will submit your Roster of Care to us along with the rest of the Provider SIL Pack templates. 

Then, we review your Roster of Care before your plan gets approved. We make sure your provider has completed the Roster of Care correctly and it meets your needs, and that the support amount is reasonable and necessary for you. 

Is SIL reasonable and necessary for you? 

Like all supports, SIL must meet the criteria in the Planning Operational Guideline – Deciding to Include Supports in a Participant’s Plan.

Here’s some of the points we use to decide if we can fund SIL for you:

  • your current situation, goals and aspirations 
  • where you live now and future home and living  goals 
  • your independent living skills and potential to build on these 
  • supports you need to achieve your home and living  goals
  • information about your day to day support needs
  • reports or occupational therapy assessments 
  • other helpful information about your support needs
  • any alternative home and living  options.

We use other sources of information, like discussions with you, family members, or carers to understand your needs. We also look at any information you gave us when you applied to the NDIS. These include things like medical or allied health reports.

If you have any other information or reports that you think will help us understand your needs, let us know.

Is SIL value for money? 

We need to review if your Roster of Care is “value for money”. 

Limits to SIL hourly rates can be found on the SIL page and the NDIS Price Guide.

There are two sets of hourly rates: standard and high. You can find more information on hourly rates in the Guide to Using the Provider SIL Pack

High intensity pricing only applies if you need assistance from support workers with lots of experience. You might need support workers with additional skills and experience, like: 

  • the ability to manage challenging behaviours that require intensive positive behaviour support, at least once per shift 
  • the capacity to provide continual active support for high medical needs, such as unstable seizure activity or respiratory support. 

What if you need support above the price limits?

A very small number of participants need significant levels of support from very experienced or skilled support workers. This may be because of extreme behaviours of concern. We only fund support above the higher intensity price limits in very few cases. 

Please note: in this case, what you need probably isn’t SIL funding. You may need more than what SIL supports can offer. Ask your Planner if you’re eligible for other supports available to you. 

This page current as of
21 September 2020
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?*
Why not?