Participants make an important contribution to NDIS improvement projects. To recognise this contribution, the NDIA has a Participant Engagement Payment Policy.
This policy updates the former External Consultation Policy. It applies from 1 January 2021.
The policy sets out the approved activities, who is eligible for payment, and the amount paid. This includes consideration of out-of-pocket expenses.
The policy applies to:
- people with a disability
who are invited to take part in specific NDIS improvement activities.
The policy does not cover:
- NDIA employees, contractors, partners or public service employees
- family members of NDIA employees (unless the family member is an NDIS participant)
- employees of a disability organisation
- members of the NDIA Board or Independent Advisory Council.
Paid activities may include:
- face-to-face forums
- video conferences
- online meetings
- responses to questionnaires
- preparation for meetings (in some circumstances).
We will tell participants before the event if it is a paid activity.
The NDIS is one of the only government agencies to have a payment policy of this kind.
The payment rates for an individual’s time are:
- $50 per hour for up to 2 hours (pro-rata)
- $150 per day for up to 4 hours
- $250 per day up to 8 hours.
In some circumstances, participants may receive out-of-pocket expenses to support their contribution.
Expenses might include transport, parking, meals, accessibility equipment or a support person/carer.
All expenses must be reasonable and necessary, and represent value for money.
A full copy of the policy is available from Participant.Engagement@ndis.gov.au.