Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) refers to accommodation for participants who require specialist housing solutions to assist with the delivery of supports that cater for their extreme functional impairment and/or very high support needs.
SDA does not refer to the support services, but the homes in which these are delivered. SDA may include specialist designs for people with very high needs or may have a location or features that make it feasible to provide complex or costly supports for independent living.
Price Guide 2020‒21 for Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA Price Guide)
Like other parts of the NDIS, SDA employs a market-based approach by allocating funding to eligible participants. A participant can use that confirmed funding to then source the supports that appeal to them from the market.
For SDA this means the NDIS provides funding through a participant’s plan and the participant (often with additional support such as a support coordinator) then finds and applies for the SDA option that best suits their needs.
The SDA Price Guide is a summary of prices that apply to SDA under the NDIS.
On 30 March 2021, the SDA Price Guide was updated, with changes effective from 20 March 2021:
- Price Guide 2020-21 for Specialist Disability Accommodation (DOCX 146KB)
- Price Guide 2020-21 for Specialist Disability Accommodation (PDF 1.4MB)
The following SDA price calculator was updated on 30 March 2021, with changes effective from 20 March 2021:
Updates to the SDA Price Guide and SDA price calculator – March 2021
On 30 March 2021, the SDA Price Guide and SDA price calculator were updated, with changes effective from 20 March 2021. New tables in the SDA Price Guide utilise Disability Support Pension rates and Maximum Reasonable Rent Contribution clauses to calculate the fortnightly maximum contribution providers can charge for single and shared living arrangements. The new tables are:
- Table 1: Fortnightly Maximum Reasonable Rent Contribution (pg. 8)
- Table 2: Fortnightly Maximum Board (pg. 9).
The SDA price calculator has been updated to include:
- an ‘Income’ tab (previously labelled ‘Results’) to help providers calculate expected annual income per participant, per year for 3 scenarios:
- the SDA single rate for a participant in a room
- the SDA share rate for 2 SDA participants sharing a room
- the SDA share rate for 1 SDA participant sharing a room with 1 non-SDA participant.
- a new ‘MRRC’ tab is included to help providers calculate maximum rent and board contributions for participants in single and shared room arrangements.
The SDA Price Guide should be read in conjunction with a number of other documents, including the:
Previous SDA price guides and calculators can be found on the Price guide archive page.