The NDIS funds:
- Transport supports for a participant where it is reasonable and necessary and the supports are directly related to the functional impact of their impairment(s).
Generally, transport supports funded by the NDIS include:
- training and support to use public transport;
- modification to private vehicles, driver assessment and training; and
- some costs associated with the use of taxis, private transport or innovative transport options.
Other service systems fund/provide:
- Accessible public transport options.
- Transport infrastructure, including road and footpath infrastructure, where this is part of a universal service obligation or reasonable adjustment, including managing disability parking and related initiatives.
- Concessions to facilitate use of public transport, including where a full concession is offered.
- Community transport services.
States and territories continue to provide supported school transport as an in-kind contribution to the NDIS. These arrangements will remain in place until an alternative process is determined.