Co-designing a new First Nations Strategy
The NDIA is co-designing a new First Nations Strategy and action plan that reflects the priority issues and opportunities to achieve outcomes for First Nations people with disability on an equal basis with the broader population.
In 2021, we committed to co-designing the new First Nations Strategy with participants, the broader First Nations disability community, families, and carers. The co-design approach is inclusive of First Nations communities, to ensure their voices, and those of their families and communities are heard and reflected in our processes, goals and actions.
We will ensure the strategy is aligned with the objectives and key priority reforms under the National Agreement on Closing the Gap, which seeks to enable First Nations Australians and governments to work together to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The approach to co-designing the new Strategy involves 4 key phases:
- Prepare – confirm governance and plan co-design and engagement approach for development of Strategy. The Strategy is currently in this phase.
- Discover – broad consultation and co-design process with First Nations disability community.
- Develop – co-design Strategy as informed by First Nations disability community.
- Deliver and evaluate – develop Strategy and Action Plan, and confirm implementation, monitoring and evaluation approach.
The new First Nations Strategy is expected to be released in 2023.
2021 progress update
In July 2021, we released a progress update on the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Engagement Strategy. The update details progress against the priorities identified in the Strategy and actions to further implement the strategy.
In late 2021, we started work to refresh the strategy and develop an action plan. We will co-design the strategy with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stakeholders, including participants, families, carers and the disability community.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategy
Drawing upon the existing strengths and features of rural and remote communities, along with engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities are key components of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategy.
The strategy focuses on enabling quality engagement, service delivery and leadership to ensure the successful delivery of the NDIS in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities across Australia.
We developed the strategy, drawing on the knowledge and experience of the NDIS trial sites and the expertise of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Reference Group and associated working groups.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategy progress update (DOCX 565KB)
- Easy Read - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategy progress update (PDF 8.9MB)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Engagement Strategy (PDF 3.2MB)
- Easy Read - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Engagement Strategy (PDF 4MB).