More than $3 billion has so far been committed to help people living with a disability under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), a new report reveals.
Between July-September the Scheme grew by almost 11,000 people, with 7440 participants receiving an approved NDIS plan and more than 3500 children to be referred through the NDIS Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) program, which is available to children under six years of age with autism or developmental delay.
This means that as of September 30, more than 40,000 Australians have NDIS plans or are in the process of accessing the NDIS Early Childhood Early Intervention approach.
The NDIS Quarterly Report for July-September 2016 released today showed $3.3 billion had been committed to help people with disability across the country and 37,721 participants now have plans under the Scheme.
The three-year transition phase of the NDIS began in July and has seen the number of participants in the Scheme with an approved plan of supports grow by almost 25 per cent in just three months.
Eighty Five per cent of participants with a plan approved in the latest quarter rated their satisfaction with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) and the planning process as either good or very good.
Highlights of the report include:
- $3.3 billion committed for participant support costs
- 37,721 participants in the Scheme (includes latest quarter and three-year trial)
- 3552 children will be referred through the ECEI gateway in the latest quarter
- Survey of participants - 85 per cent of people’s experience either good or very good.
- 3696 registered service providers
- 72 per cent of committed supports expected to be provided for core supports such as helping with daily activities, community participation and transport
By the end of 2016 the number of people in the Scheme is expected to almost double to 60,000.
“We are carefully transitioning the biggest social reform in this country since Medicare with new areas and age groups joining the scheme all the time,” NDIA chief executive David Bowen said.
“This is a unique period as we move approximately 430,000 Australians to the NDIS in the next three years,” Mr Bowen said.
Mr Bowen said the transition to the NDIS was the first time there has been a nationally consistent approach for those living with a disability.
“Australians are rightly proud to be properly assisting those with a disability,” Mr Bowen said.
Mr Bowen said the NDIS was an insurance scheme for every Australian.
He said the Scheme provides “peace of mind to the entire community that if their child or loved one is born with or acquires a significant disability they will get the support they need”.
“A family member, a friend or someone in your street is likely to be assisted by the Scheme at some stage,” Mr Bowen said.
Mr Bowen said the transition to a scheme of this size would invariably face hurdles and the NDIA was meeting the challenges, learning and improving.
“This is a progressive scheme at the forefront of person-centred care that will provide much needed support for decades to come,” Mr Bowen said.
The NDIA is carefully monitoring costs to ensure the continued sustainability of the Scheme.
Mr Bowen said the Scheme makes strong economic sense in its focus on capacity building and inclusion for people with a disability.
In 2011 PricewaterhouseCoopers found that – without the NDIS – government expenditures on disability would increase to two-to-three times the projected costs of the NDIS.
For more information on when the NDIS will be available in new areas and how people with disability, their families and carers, providers and the community can get NDIS Ready, visit the NDIS website.
NDIS state and territory participants with approved plans at the end of September 2016
Participants with approved plan
Australia is NDIS Ready video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVWgKXheBEw