The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for people with disability, their families and carers in Australia.
The NDIS will provide about 460,000 Australians under the age of 65 with a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary supports they need to live an ordinary life.
Reasonable and necessary supports help people with disability achieve their goals, including independence, community involvement, employment and wellbeing.
Supports may include personal care and support, access to the community, therapy services and essential equipment.
The NDIS also provides people with disability, their families and carers with information and referrals to existing support services in the community.
To learn more about the NDIS visit What is the NDIS?
The roll out of the NDIS began on 1 July 2016 and is being introduced in stages around the country over the next three years to ensure it is successful and sustainable.
Existing Commonwealth and state-based services and supports will continue until eligible people start to receive supports from the NDIS.
Now is the time to get ready.
Visit your state and territory page to find out when the NDIS is coming to your area.
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
What can people with disability, their families and carers do to get ready for the NDIS?
- Learn if you might be able to access the NDIS. Complete the access checklist.
- Think about your life now, your current informal and formal supports, and what is working and what might need to change. Learn about reasonable and necessary supports.
- Identify your strengths, interests, challenges and consider your goals or what you might want to achieve. Read about the types of services and supports the NDIS can provide.
- Write these things down and collect any reports, assessments or information you might find helpful for when the NDIS comes to you.
What can disability service providers do to get ready for the NDIS?
- Visit the providers page to learn about registering as an NDIS provider.
- Start thinking about how to work with the NDIS. Consider the opportunities for your business and what you might have to change.
What can the community do to get ready for the NDIS?
- Start to think about what inclusion, accessibility and equity looks like for people with disability in your community. Learn why community participation is important.
- Talk to your family, friends and colleagues about the NDIS and what it will mean for people with disability.
- Make changes and embrace the opportunity to create a more inclusive and accessible community for everyone.
Download or read the latest NDIS resources to help you get NDIS Ready
About the NDIS (overview of the NDIS)
- What is the NDIS?
- About the NDIS (PDF 90KB)
- About the NDIS (DOCX 30KB)
- About the NDIS video
- Easy English: About the NDIS (PDF 2.5MB)
- Easy English: About the NDIS (DOCX 56KB)
Joining the NDIS (information for people joining the NDIS)
- My NDIS Pathway - information about the steps you will take on your journey with the NDIS
- My NDIS Pathway - a guide to being an NDIS participant (PDF 370KB)
- My NDIS Pathway - a guide to being an NDIS participant (DOCX 200KB)
- Joining the NDIS Easy English (PDF 3.3MB)
- Joining the NDIS Easy English (DOC 60KB)
Supporting families and carers (information for families and carers)
- Information for families and carers
- Supporting families and carers (PDF 180KB)
- Supporting families and carers (DOCX 200KB)
- Supporting families and carers Easy English (PDF 320KB)
- Supporting families and carers Easy English (DOCX 50KB)
- Early Childhood Early Intervention
Working with the NDIS (information for providers)
- Working with the NDIS - information and updates for disability service providers
- Working with the NDIS (PDF 250KB)
- Working with the NDIS (DOCX 200KB)
- Working with the NDIS: your guide to being a registered NDIS provider (PDF 200KB)
- Working with the NDIS: your guide to being a registered NDIS provider (DOCX 170KB)
- Your guide to being a registered NDIS provider – Poster (DOCX 170KB)
NDIS Ready Communications Toolkit
NDIS communication materials and ideas to help individuals and organisations raise awareness about the NDIS in their community.
- NDIS Ready Communications Toolkit (PDF 348 KB)
- NDIS Ready Communications Toolkit (HTML 127KB)
- NDIS Ready videos (latest videos, including videos profiling NDIS participants and people getting ready to join the NDIS).
NDIS Ready printable resources
- NDIS ready sign (PDF 500KB)
- NDIS Ready Poster: I Heart NDIS (PDF 15KB)
- NDIS Ready Poster: The NDIS is coming to this region (PDF 15KB)