The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) celebrates its fifth birthday today as it continues to improve the lives of more than 160,000 Australians who are accessing the Scheme.
Since four NDIS trial sites were launched in 2013:
- 45,000 people are now receiving support for the very first time.
- 14,271 service providers have registered with the NDIS to take advantage of the business opportunities created by the NDIS.
- 90 per cent of participants have rated their satisfaction with the NDIS planning process as either good or very good since the Scheme's inception.
- 90 per cent of parents or carers of children up to school age say the NDIS has helped with their child's development and access to school services.
- The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission commences today in New South Wales and South Australia to oversee quality and safety for people receiving supports through the NDIS.
- The NDIS has been on budget every year.
The NDIS is transforming the lives of people with disability across the country. It is also delivering profound economic change by creating new markets and new business and employment opportunities.
The NDIS is a world first and not without its challenges. These challenges can and will be overcome with a united approach.
Supporting every Australian to live their best life is a noble ambition and it is why working together to implement the NDIS is so important.