We invite families of children younger than 9 with NDIS funded plans to complete a short online survey about early childhood assistive technology (AT).
We would like to learn more about their AT experiences and priorities to help inform the development of flexible AT options that will make it easier for them to get the AT their child needs, when they need it.
We want to find out:
- how important it is for them to be able to quickly change, adjust or upgrade their child’s AT as their needs change.
- if they’re likely to purchase, loan or hire AT, or have a combination of both depending on the AT required.
- what they do with a purchased AT when their child doesn’t need it anymore.
- their experience with hiring AT and factors affecting their decision to hire AT rather than purchase.
- how they find an AT provider / supplier.
- how comfortable they would be about hiring from an AT loan pool if their child only needs AT for a short period of time.
- what supplier qualities or services they value the most when considering an AT purchase or hire.
- if they would be interested in a subscription model for equipment bundles or packages which offer a wide range of AT (that can be swapped as needs change) for a set monthly or quarterly fee.
We will use information from the survey to:
- understand what they think about the option of an AT loan pool model to get the AT they need.
- inform the design and development of the next steps in the early childhood AT approach.
We know from previous consultations that there is a need to better meet the rapidly changing needs of children who use AT.
In particular improving:
- access to more flexible funding in plans
- improved timeliness of supply with reduced administrative burden
- environmental sustainability.
All survey responses will be collected anonymously and have no impact on NDIS funding.
The survey will close 5pm AEST Wednesday 6 July 2022.