What is an Access Request Form?

If you are a person with a disability and would like to join the NDIS, you will need to meet its Access Requirements. To find out more, visit the NDIS Access criteria page and read the evidence requirements section.

Access Request

If you think you meet these requirements you can make an Access Request two ways.

  • You can make a Verbal Access Request (VAR) or
  • Fill out a paper Access Request Form (ARF).

You will need to provide age and residency evidence. The easiest way to do it is to give the NDIA consent to use your Centrelink record, if you are a Centrelink customer.

You may also need to provide evidence about your disability and how it impacts your everyday life. The easiest way to do it is to ask your treating health professional to complete the ARF – Part F or an NDIA Supporting Evidence form. It helps if you can also supply copies of any existing reports or assessments.

No matter how you make an Access Request you will need to provide the NDIA with the same information and evidence to support your application.

Access Request form

You can call 1800 800 110 to make an Access Request or you can ask for a form. If you need help filling in the form or making the call, you can contact your Local Area Coordinator, Early Childhood Early Intervention partner or contact your local NDIA office.

We will contact you

If you already get disability services, you do not need to contact us to make an Access Request. We will contact you when the NDIS is available in your area.

Contact us

If you don’t currently get disability services, or you have questions about the Access Request Process, please contact us when the NDIS becomes available in your area.

  • If you are aged (0-6 years), contact an ECEI Partner in your local area
  • If you are aged (7-64 years), you can call the NDIA on 1800 800 110) or a LAC Partner in your local area
  • If you need help with English, call our TIS service on 131 450
  • If you have hearing or speech loss, call our TTY service on 1800 555 677. For Speak and Listen, call 1800 555 727, or for Internet relay services visit, the Relay Service webpage
  • You can also find an office near you.
This page current as of
6 December 2019