Council - the voice of participants
The Independent Advisory Council (Council) was formed in 2013 to represent the participants’ voice in the NDIS.
Its membership advise the Board of the NDIA on the most important issues affecting participants, carers and families.
Who is Council?
Council consists 12 members, who represent a wide range of disability and advocacy sectors, bringing lived experience or expertise of disability to the table. They are the voice of the participants at the highest level.
Current members, appointed on 1 July 2020, are:
- Robyn Kruk AO, Principal Member
- James Manders
- Jennifer Cullen
- Judy Huett
- Kerry Allan-Zinner
- Leah van Poppel
- Liz Reid AM
- Mark Tonga
- Sam Paior
- Sharon Boyce
- Sylvana Mahmic
- Tricia Malowney OAM.
Council is supported by the Disability Discrimination Commissioner, Dr Ben Gauntlett in the role of Council’s Expert Adviser.
Find out more about Council members and expert advisors .
What does Council do?
Council was established to provide advice to the Board about the way the Agency:
- performs its functions in relation to the Scheme
- supports the independence and social and economic participation of people with disability
- provides reasonable and necessary supports, including early intervention supports, for participants in the Scheme launch
- enables people with disability to exercise choice and control in the pursuit of their goals and the planning and delivery of their supports
- facilitates the development of a nationally consistent approach to the access to, and the planning and funding of, supports for people with disability
- promotes the provision of high quality and innovative supports to people with disability
- raises community awareness of the issues that affect the social and economic participation of people with disability, and helps with greater community inclusion of people with disability.
Council established three Reference Groups to help inform their advice:
- Intellectual Disability Reference Group (IDRG)
- Self-Management Reference Group (SMRG)
- Contemporary & Innovative Approaches Reference Group (CIARG).
Learn more about the Reference Groups .
To learn more about the progress made by Council throughout 2019-2020, read the Independent Advisory Council Annual Report 2019-20.
Council’s Annual Report, available in tagged and Easy Read version for enhanced accessibility, includes a Principal Member’s review from Mr John Walsh AM, as well as biographies of Council Members and Expert Advisors.
Importantly, it details the formal and informal advice submitted for 2019-2020, and reviews significant Council milestones for the year.
- Independent Advisory Council Annual Report 2019-20 (PDF 3.1MB)
- Easy Read - Independent Advisory Council Annual Report 2019-20 (PDF 8.1MB)
- Easy Read (text only) - Independent Advisory Council Annual Report 2019-20 (DOCX 53KB)
How can I get in contact with Council?
For all enquiries, please contact Council secretariat firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Council and its work, head to www.ndis-iac.com.au .
Upcoming meeting dates
- Council Meeting 1 – 20 August 2020
- Council Meeting 2 – 9 September 2020
- Council Meeting 3 – 15 October 2020
- Council Meeting 4 – 12 November 2020
- Council Meeting 5 – 11 December 2020.