The NDIA is committed to supporting researchers and developing partnerships with academic institutions and research bodies to drive and shape the disability research agenda.
Services we offer on request include:
- Access to tailored NDIS data (summary or unit record data)
- Access to NDIA staff (employees, contractors and volunteers) as:
- study subjects in research; or
- project team members, steering committee experts, working parties or similar
- Collaboration or partnership on research or evaluation
For more information, please refer to the External Researcher Request Policy:
Accessing NDIS data
The NDIA has data publicly available on our Data and insights page.
For information about NDIS data sharing for research, please review the NDIS Public Data Sharing Policy .
This document explains:
- the type of data we share
- what data is not available
- the principles of NDIS data
- why data sharing is important
- how to gain access to NDIS data
If you are requesting access to tailored data (summary or unit record data), see information below on how to make a request. If you are requesting unit record data, please also read the cyber security requirements:
- Information about Cyber Security requirements (PDF 314KB)
- Information about Cyber Security requirements (DOCX 48KB)
Making a research request
For access to tailored summary-level NDIS data:
For access to tailored unit record NDIS data, NDIA staff, or to request a collaboration or partnership with the NDIA:
Your duties as a researcher:
- Follow the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research and the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research .
- Make sure all data and information is used confidentially so that privacy is maintained according to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
- Other than information in the public domain, you do not disclose—except to the NDIA—any confidential information relating to the Agreement or the Research Project without written approval from the NDIA.
- Ensure all required ethical, administrative and governmental approvals relating to the Research Project are in place before commencing. These approvals must be provided to the NDIA upon request.
- Provide a Final Project Closure Report to the NDIA on completion.
For more information on the use of NDIA tailored data, please read our full terms and conditions:
- Terms and conditions for the provision of aggregated or summary data for the purposes of research (PDF 712 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the provision of aggregated or summary data for the purposes of research (DOCX 185KB)
Current partnerships and approved requests
Approved external research requests are listed in the summary log: